Our last webinar was presented by Julie Glanville on Tuesday, March 7. She talked about search filters in an interesting talk. You can watch it here in case you couldn’t attend to the live session*:
- Recorded webinar:
- Presentation slides:
- Good pieces of advice and links from the Chat box:
(Discussion solely among attendees of the webinar – their names have been removed, but the text remains the same; answers by Julie were given in audio form)
– Question: are the search filters in Ovid vs PubMed the same? What are the differences?
Answer: this is from 2014 but may be still useful? http://www.marquette.edu/library/find/Medline_PubMed.pdf
– Comment: Clinical queries filters are also avialable for MEDLINE/CINAHL on EBSCOhost at http://help.ebsco.com/interfaces/CINAHL_MEDLINE_Databases/MEDLINE/search_strategies_used_by_MEDLINE_Clinical_Queries (developed by HIRU, McMaster University).
– Question: Which method would you use to split the gold standard in sets?
– Question: Same question from me – is the splitting arbitrary or?
Answer: I just wrote a blog post on the topic of randomising records: https://expertsearching.wordpress.com/2017/03/01/finding-a-random-set-of-citations-in-endnote/
– Question: Do you think e.g. that removing drugs.fs from the Cochrane RCT filter when attaching it to a surgical topic would have a relevant impact on its performance?
Answer: that is an example of a filter using mainly drug-RCT’s in the gold standard. Not useful in surgery for instance
– Question: Do you /does anybody in the chatroom know search filters (e.g. for clinical trials) to use with the Embase.com (Elsevier) interface?
Answer: perhaps Wichor Bramer has developed some – he uses embase.com regularly
Answer: OVID EMbase filters can easily be translated into embase.com filters
*As this is a pilot program, we are asking for your feedback, so we can determine how to improve this program and whether this is something EAHIL members would like to see further developed in future years: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfyLFJOAfz5LYoa0pUeudkMcvasHmk4BrkYmrj2OC375lu2HA/viewform